Author Archives: sukigod
Did the drybrushing highlighting and started the basing for the metals – edges of cut panels, guns/exhausts, etc. I also did the checks for one tank. Turned out alright I think. I’ll be doing something different for the other tank. These pics are some of the first ones I could get color corrected to show the true red (your screens may vary…).
Tonight I hope to get the second tanks black basing done and stenciling (for a lack of a better word) as well as the details, then maybe the chipping finished over the weekend. I’d like to wrap this up by Sunday to give me enough time to complete both Pulsa Rokkits in time for the instore Apoc Demo coming up. Yes, I’ve decided to do the Pulsas next. They’ll add more visual impact to the game and the crazy rules should be more fun than the ability to shoot down flyers, we’ll have some other units for that.
OK – second skullhamma tank build finished. Grayscaled for the same reason as before.
I’m priming this one right now and taking a long time since the humidity outside is so high at the moment. Spray, bring it in, let is dry, go back out and spray again, come back in and let it dry. Evaluate…on and on. I’m actually hoping to get at least the base coat of Mechrite red sprayed down tonight – we’ll see how it goes with the primer curing well enough to mask.
Primed and some Barry shots, – nobs and a battlewagon.
On to paint!
Now dey go FASTA!!!
Masked off and ready to go to the garage for airbrushing.
And now they’re red!
They’re really bright at this point so they’ll look a little cartoony – this is even more pronounced in the photos than in real life. Next will be the metals and details, then a couple of overall washes and then paint chipping and done.
Gotta figure out which ones I’ll be doing after that. Matching Pulsa Rokkits? A kustom battlefortress? Maybe the pair of flakka dakka wagons? All before Oct.!
OK. Finished with the first skullhamma, the other should be finished tomorrow with the hope of priming tomorrow night.
Photos, that’s about it. I’ve greyscaled it because the color version is even harder to tell what’s what.
Nothing too detailed or “soopa doopa orky”, just looted and plated enough to tell it’s not an imperial machine anymore.
And both on the workbench. Started the armor plating on the second.
OK, forced once a week update here. Got the base kannons done so all the armaments are finished. I know they look all slapped on but I’ll be “blending” them into the body better in the scrapping/junking phase, which is next.
Started the armoring and scrapification of the first tank…
Yes, a bit sloppy, but that’s what I’m going for. No one will mistake this for any other kind of unit on the table. Depending on schedule I’m hoping to be painting these things by next weekend. We’ll see.
Finished the skullhammas sponsons tonight. I still have the rivets to do but I’ll do them all at the end. Here ya go!
Next are the kannons.
Started the work on the pair of Skullhammas tonight. Figured I’d get the armaments done first, then I can just slap plates and rivets and call it good. I spent about 20 minutes sifting through 4 big buckets of parts and came across these parts.
I just new I’d have a use for these some day.The square bits are the packs some brands of disposable contact lenses come in – yes I kept a lot of the foil seals from them too. They will make great realistic metal plates and thin bent metals! The caps are from the automated shower cleaner bottles. Yep, I scavenged those too. It’s easy to collect these kinds of things and just throw them into a box and leave’em til ya need’em. The repetition in these kinds of things is what lends an air or function to using them in scratchbuild/kitbashes. Industrial Light and Magic uses the same techniques when making thier models for movies.
I decided to knock out the twin linked big shootas on sponsons as they contain the most fiddly bits.
Last picture shows the half finished sponsons poster tacked to the tanks. All I need to do to finish them up is some plates ib the back and side and some angle iron over the edges with rivets and I’ll call-em done. Oh yeah, a little hatch for the top of each! The little well where the contact rested make perfect hatch circles – neat!
btw – don’t expect these to be super detailed like the other work I produce, I’m purposely moving fast on these as I won’t have time otherwise to finish all of the models I need to by the beginning of October and I’ll probably only use them once or twice a year.