Deff Rolla Rocks!
Deff rolla rocks. I’ve actually taken photos during each step of the finishing of the roller. The plates started off with with a primer black base.
For the first two layers I used a wet version of dry brushing. The brush was wet and paint had been thinned down as normal, only I brushed the colors over tops of everything in very broad and almost all encompassing strokes.
IN ORDER: Tin Bits, Straight Boltgun Metal, hightlights with Chainmail.
IN ORDER: Mithril on highest highest parts and outlined edges and edges of spikes to give depth/dimension, first “magic wash” with black, second “magic wash” with Chestnut Ink.
The Mithril might seem, at first glance, to be a bit bright for an orky vehicle but my experience with washing and sealing with a matte spray (Testors Dullcote) one needs to bring your highlights up at least on or two levels higher than you think since the spray will knock back high spots considerably.
Here it is with the roller in place, I’ve already painted to the arms to match.
The rusted chain is your standard hobby jewelry chain primed black, wet brushed with Dark Flesh, Vermin Brown and then sparsely washed with Fiery Orange.
After test fitting the chain (meaning “wrapping it around ten different times”) I found where I wanted it to start and end. I prepped the start/end points by scraping away a small spot down to the bare plastic so the glue holds well. I glued one end in place, wrapped the chain and glued the other end. The chain is spot glued down in a few areas to keep the chain from slipping too much and coming loose or slipping over the spikes and comming loose.
I then used a short piece of tubing cut vertically to create two end covers to protect the bolts that adhere the chain. At least thats by excuse – in reality it just covers the ugly glue down.
Here’s the wrapped and painted roller.
The boyz got so excited at this point they just had to take the thing out for a ride. Mighty purdy dey iz! And yes, as per the 2nd Edition rules, it will hold 20 boyz.
I’ve got a few things to finish off before calling it complete – paint the spotlight “eye”, paint the lighting bolts on the roller arms and finish painting the bolt-on big shootas. All in all, I should be finished with it this week.