- All Categories
- Apocalypse (65)
- Elites (1)
- Fast Attack (9)
- Heavy Support (28)
- Imperial (6)
- Imperial Guard (3)
- Ork Project of the Week (2)
- Random (1)
- Terrain (3)
- Top Ten Music (5)
- Troops (6)
- Grot Mob (1)
- Tutorial (4)
- Uncategorized (16)
- Waaagh! (10)
I boxed in the drivers area and engine compartment finally. Somedays I wish I had drawn everything up before hand and had a plan with this but that wouldn’t be very Orky would it? I spend a lot of time just staring at this thing, waiting for something to come to me. Not a bad thing, really. I find going through my bitz box repeatedly helps inspire me too.
I finished the engine compartment and painted it since I’ll be screening it in and won\’t be able to get at it later. I’ve also done some work on the top surface. I need to add some extra bolt on panels over the current ones to add to that patchy look.
I did get started on the side armor panels but don’t have any photos yet. Maybe by the and of the week.
I spent a lot of time this weekend drawing and cutting foamcore. After going around and around with many different design ideas, I came to the conclusion that GW’s Forgeworld version is pretty dang good and as good as any base design, so that’s where I’m going to work towards.
It took me forever to decide what to do with the drivers compartment and I figured out where to put connections for the deff roller to come. I chose the first picture (top) as that looks beefier. I read a passage this weekend in the Ork Codex about vehicles having spikey bits representing tusks to mimic the Squiggoths and was inspired to make a set of “tusks” that will protrude out of the same sockets that will attach the deff roller arms. Maybe I can find a way to work them somewhere else when the deff roller is on, we’ll see.
I’ve got the drivers compartment housing started and I’m working on the track covers and the shielding for the deff roller attachment points that will be on top of the tracks, next to the drivers extension. The top two photos show the foamcore testing and placement of a Kannon and a “Killkannon” for size comparisons along with a boy for scale. All weapons as well as a ‘ard Case for this will be modular/magnetized.
Got the smokestacks done last night. Not the smoothest operation, I tell ya. made two mistakes be recovered from them OK. One was using two part epoxy to attach the stacks to the mounting plates. They’re two different type of plastic so I know regular polystyrene glue wouldn’t hold. The two part simply slid right off after it set. I guess there wasn’t enough contact area or bite in the surfaces. I ended up using gap filling super glue and I’ll paint the glue marks as welds. Very Orky!
The other was I glued a set of stacks on the mounting plate backwards. Instead of peeling them off I rounded all the edges and made a new, thicker plate for them to rest on. They seem alright now.
I got the engine top plate in place and now looking around for what to put up against it interior wise. I’ve got scraps to look through, I just didn’t have that much time before calling it a night. I did dry fit some foamcore to test drivers compartment designs and Deff Roller scale. This is easier and cheaper (the foamcore) for me as I can get foamcore for nearly free where I work. I’m not digging the deisgn yet, I’ll have to look around and sketch a few things before moving forward there.
I’m also looking at how the deff roller will attach. It\’ll be tricky as I want a wide roller (more impressive looking) but where to attach a wider roller will take some planning. The blue/black hinged thing on top is a print cartridge holder from a cheap printer that I’ll repurpose for a boarding plank.
I might not get to spend anymore time with this untill Sat or Sun so be patient for updates. I told you it’ll be somewhat slow.
This will be a one project only type thread centering on my Battlewagon. It’s one of those things that’s been on my back burner for a couple of years now. My tournament army is completely painted and I have the time to leisurely work on this, and it will take some time. I’m used to kit-bashing but constructing things out of thin air out of plastruc and tubing is something new for me.
I’m starting with a Chaos Landraider I got off ebay for a good price ($25, I think). It was slapped together, spray painted black with a TON of spikey bits all over it. You should receive a free pair of shark gloves when you buy any chaos vehicle kit! It took about an hour to deconstruct it into it’s basic parts as seen in the first image.
My first task is to address the engine compartment. The exhaust stacks are just too weedy for a propa ork vehicle to I’m gonna mak’em larger and noisier (you’ll just have to trust me on the noisier part). I’ve shaved off the pipes from the original and cut out new top plates for the new exhaust to sit on. Of course, the new pipes just can’t come out of the engine straight up, they have to stick out at funky angles.
I’ve cut tubing to the lengths/angles I want them. The smaller rings are mainly spacers that will snuggle between the actual exhaust pipe and the heat shroud that covers the exhaust tube. You won’t see these when it’s completed. The next step will be drilling the vent holes in the shrouds.
I’ve also removed the interior engine detail that normally faces forward into the crew compartment. This will be attached facing up, right next to the engine exhaust plate. I’ll put some sort of grating/screening over this so you can see the engine beneath it. This does take up some of the inside room for troops but I’m not concerned as I’ll be putting up a wider platform up top to support a majority of the troops.